Saturday, June 30, 2012

Paradise in Ischia

Thursday, 7/15/10

Source: pic2fly.com

Well, we all made it to Ischia and back ok. There is only one ferry from Sorrento in the morning, and only one ferry back to Sorrento in the afternoon, and we didn't miss either. I was loathe to leave, though. After checking out the ruins under Sancta Restituta and the display in a nearby museum, Wendy, Leigh, and I went to a nearby Spa. Its unusual name was Negombo. Unfortunately, I didn't trust my camera around the sand and water, so I do not have personal pictures of its striking beauty. A quick search under Google Images will give you some idea, though. I posted a couple here.

Source: iodesignonlus.it

What luxury. We enjoyed the beach, which was on a scenic little cove with dark, volcanic sand. The resort was beautifully landscaped with lush plants and scented flowers. There was a large salt-water pool along the ocean. A scenic trail wound up the nearby hill, with different thermal pools offering different experiences. At the Japanese pool you walked on large pebbles, first through hot water and then through icy cold. Further up were warm pools that bubble like a natural hot tub; towers of hot water that splashed down on you from above to give you a back massage; showers and pools in caves, etc., etc. We had a grand time and were reluctant to leave to catch the bus back to the port.

My dream relaxation-vacation would be to stay a few days on Ischia hanging out at a resort like that spa we went to, with maybe some day trips into Sorrento to shop. I'd love to go back.

 On the way to Ischia, I had fallen asleep briefly on the ferry. I dreamed St. Restituta was talking to me in Greek. The Greek letters scrolled across my field of vision, and I understood her as I read them. I felt a moment of enlightenment. Unfortunately, when I woke up I couldn't remember what she'd said or what the enlightened feeling was about.

 When we got back to theVesuvian Institute in Stabia, hot and tired and sweaty, there was no cold water on the second floor. The hot water was scalding, so no showers. There's a possibility of no water at all when the hot water tank runs dry. My neighbors are reporting a foul, sewer-like smell in some of the rooms that are getting no water at all. In fact, the stench is wafting into the room as I type. I have been patient with the noise, scarcity of electrical outlets, and spotty wireless reception in this hotel, but lack of water and the stink has taxed my patience to the limit. I am starting to wish our group could pack up and leave for Rome tomorrow.

My thanks to the National Endowment for the Humanities for funding this portion of our trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment