Sunday, June 10, 2012

Free Time in Campagna, Italy

The Grandeur of the Greek Temples at Paestum

Sunday, July 4, 2010


Sunday, July 4, was a “free” day. The group split into two groups more along the lines of age rather than whether we were Latinists or not. The younger group took a ferry to Capri and took a boat tour and hiked up to see Tiberius' villa. They also got to see the Blue Grotto... I would have liked that! 

The young-at-heart generation followed a tour leader, Tom, to Paestum to see the museum and ruins there, particularly the Greek “Tomb of the Diver” and the incredible Greek temples. Southern Italy was dotted with Greek colonies for centuries, giving the culture of the south a different flavor from Rome and the north. For more pictures of Paestum, visit this set on Flickr.

It was worth the trip despite the fact we missed a train. This forced us to delay in the lovely town of Solerno where we saw its “Duomo,” which oddly doesn't have a dome as far as I can tell.
Tomb of the Diver

That evening we were all exhausted, except Sister Therese, who had prepared a detailed lecture about the early history of Pompeii, which she attempted to deliver after dinner between 9 and 10 pm. Unfortunately for her, but perhaps luckily for the rest of the group, she kept getting interrupted by fireworks and so had to cut her presentation short. It sounds like a full day at Pompeii is on the agenda for tomorrow.
Interior over the Nave at Solerno

I have had some serious medical issues with my knee since my Treeing Walker Coon Hound knocked me down on February 4. My orthopedist told me before the trip he thought I would get better without surgery and gave his ok for me to go. I was not sure he was right, but I am walking and going up and down stairs and mostly staying up with the group. And the knee seems to be feeling better each day. It seems a miracle in this land of holy places and healing. I begin to hope that the doctor was right.

Magnificent Temple at Paestum
Many thanks to the National Endowment for the Humanities for making this portion of my trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment