Saturday, July 14, 2012

Two Teachers at the Vatican Museum

Saturday, 7/24/10


 My friend, Susan, and I spent most of the day at the Vatican Museum. Susan is an artist and art teacher from Chicago.What a fantastic day! We both like to move slowly through the galleries, taking in everything we can of the art. We both take time to read the placards and listen to the audio-guide, which we both rented. I got some great digital pictures of inscriptions and mythology-based art, particularly of statues from the Classical, Hellenistic, and Neo-Classical periods. I am sure these will make their way into the classroom. 

Laocoon

We were both pleasantly surprised to see what a fine collection the Vatican has of modern art. I only took a few photos of pictures I liked or found intriguing, but Susan could not get enough of the modern work, mostly paintings, once she noticed the quality of the collection. We had the contemporary art section and the lovely Etruscan section of the museum almost to ourselves toward the end of the day. We also enjoyed the gallery with the Greek vases, although I couldn't take many pictures due to problems with the reflections because the work was in cases. For more photographs, visit this set on Flickr.

"Crucifixion," by Salvador Dali, 1954

 The Sistine Chapel, once we got there in late afternoon, was crowded but not insufferably so. The audio-guides helped us remember important points about the paintings and focused our attention despite the crowds. I wish visitors were allowed to take pictures in the chapel, but sadly we were not. I had not been to the Sistine Chapel since Michelangelo's Last Judgment had been cleaned and restored, so I enjoyed getting a good look at these frescoes anew. Susan and I both said we much  preferred the audio-guides to paying for a guided tour. Seven Euros for the audio-guide vs. 45 Euros for a guided tour seems like a no-brainer, although we did have to stand in line for about an hour to get into the Vatican Museum. The guides do get you in faster. Susan and I said it was definitely worth the wait to take things at our own pace.

Since we enjoyed each others' company at the museum so much, we decided to head for the Capitoline Museum together tomorrow. But we will need to pack first. The group is moving to the Villa Rosa tomorrow afternoon, but we need to be checked out of our rooms by 10 AM. I think we will all miss the Casa la Salle. It has been a lovely stay here.

My enduring thanks go to the National Endowment for the Humanities for making this portion of our trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment