Friday, July 13, 2012

The Roman Mysteries

Friday, 7/23/10


 This was a quiet day. The morning was spent in lecture, discussion, and translation sessions. Nadine uses historical novels to teach her very diverse 6th-grade class. She shared selections from Caroline Lawrence's, The Thieves of Ostia, which were very good. Even though I teach high school students, I suspect I could get some of my own students hooked on these books. The series is called, “The Roman Mysteries.” After lunch I did my PT exercises, then wandered around this part of Rome a little. For tomorrow I want to visit the Vatican Museums. My friend Susan wants to go with me. We found a bus stop nearby where we can take a bus that will hopefully drop us off a little closer to the Vatican than we can get on the Metro system. I went to the Metro system and figured out how to purchase myself a week-long public transportation pass for 16 Euro. That will get me through the weekend and help out when we are at the Villa Rosa this coming week. My understanding is that it is not as conveniently located as this place, so we may want to take buses to find good restaurants, etc. I also took a picture of a sign near the ticket booth that said, in various languages, “Beware of pickpockets.” I had a nice Skype talk with Don this evening. It was pleasant; almost like sitting across from him at his kitchen table. We both miss each other and enjoyed the visit.

Beware of Pickpockets--Whatever Your Language!

I would like to thank the National Endowment for the Humanities for making this portion of my trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment