Sunday, July 1, 2012

Last Day in Stabia

Saturday, 7/17/10

Hydrangea

 What a pleasant morning I had! I got through most of my regimen of exercises, then went back to the Terme di Stabia and got more of the s. ferrata for my legs, which now seem totally free of that annoying rash. I will share some with the other women who are having problems with the same rash here on the legs. Someone looked it up, and it is a common affliction in Europe of women who visit from the United States who are over 50 (!! I am NOT!!) There is supposedly nothing you can do about it. Obviously the folks of the internet have not had the benefit of the s. ferrata that I have.
Fountain in Castellammare di Stabia

 I also bought some little gifts for people at the stores around the baths. Between the health benefits of this place and the luxury and fun of the spa at Ischia, I can now definitely see why the Romans loved their baths so much and why they spent so much time there. Even the baths at Stabia are landscaped beautifully. I'll post some pictures. The Terme di Stabia seems to be a hangout for older people and for people with children during the heat of the day. Like the Roman baths, it seems like a social event. Like the Roman baths, the baths at Stabia also attracts shopkeepers. One shop just outside the entrance that mostly sells little breads or rolls seemed to be doing a brisk business today. The shopkeeper seemed to be touting the health benefits of the bread. I wish I understood enough Italian to be sure of what she was telling people.

 I still need to pack. I am actually a little reluctant to leave here, although I am excited about heading to the big city of Rome.

My thanks to the National Endowment for the Humanities for making this portion of our trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment