Sunday, June 24, 2012

Taking the Waters

Sunday, 7/11/10

The Fountain at the Terme di Stabia

 

It's hard to believe we've already been here a week. Most of the group decided to travel to the beaches in Sorrrento. Leigh and I walked to the Terme di Stabia, the Baths of Stabia, which turned out to be easy to find, about two or three blocks from where we are staying. The main baths were closed. If we have read the Italian right, the main bath complex offers mud treatments, breathing treatments, various types of soaks and physical therapy.

The complex across the street was open, however, to take the waters. After paying a modest entrance fee, we entered a pleasant little park with shady trees, a moss-grown fountain, and a couple of shops selling spices or trinkets. There was a view of the bay from under the trees and a little museum exhibit and aquarium showcasing local sea-life. The restrooms were clean and well-stocked. 
Cool Shade and Beautiful Gardens at the Terme di Stabia

The highlight was a row of spigots over a trough. The different kinds of mineral waters were labeled with things like “Madonna,” “Stabia,” “Ferrata,” etc. An elderly Italian man explained to us patiently and enthusiastically in Italian that the different waters are good for different things. We mostly understood his pantomime, but we got by. Some of the waters are meant to be drunk, others to smear on the body. His favorite for drinking was the “Madonna,” which tastes much like the bottled mineral water served at the local restaurants. Another man liked a water that he said was good for the stomach, but Leigh tried it and said it tasted awful, sort of salty with a strong sulfur taste, so I skipped that one. 

My favorite was the “S. Ferrata,” a type meant for topical application. Our first guide claimed it is good for the skin. I smeared some on my rash, and it immediately felt soothed, and felt even better as the water evaporated. We had not thought to bring cups or bottles, so we'd had to purchase little cups at the entrance for an extra 10 cents (or the equivalent in Euros). I filled my cup with the “S. Ferrata” and managed to bring some home without spilling it too badly. I have applied more to my rash liberally and frequently. I wish I'd brought a bottle and will definitely bring some to fill if I go back. 

Upon my return I walked into town for lunch and bought a few postage stamps. I was surprised you can buy them on Sunday. I managed to do most of my PT exercises upon return. Now I plan to rest and to finish up my postcards, and maybe even take a little nap. It's well-deserved. 

My thanks to the National Endowment for the Humanities for providing funding for this portion of our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment