Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Forum, St. Peter's, and Gladiators--Oh, My!

Tuesday, 7/20/10

Enjoying St. Peter's Basilica

 Today we had a brilliant and lively lecture by Henry Bender, an expert on Augustan Rome. We looked at Augustus' forum. Susan and I had a nice lunch near the Colosseum. We were  supposed to go in, but we didn't want to brave the crowds at that time of day. We have both been there before, although it might have been nice to see the special exhibit on gladiators on the top floor. I heard it was good. Susan and I did a little shopping and took each others' pictures in St. Peter's Square. After our presentation and translation session tonight, our group had a little picnic on the grounds of our hotel. The day would have been almost perfect if the internet had been working at the hotel. I would love to Skype my mom and Matthew. For more pictures of the monuments of Rome, visit this set on Flickr.

My thanks to the National Endowment for the Humanities for making this portion of my trip possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment